Time since stroke: 3 months
ProblemsCliff was a highly educated scientist who wanted to return to work as soon as possible. He'd sustained a head injury after losing consciousness and falling. He periodically became very discouraged by the difficulty of learning to read and write at a higher-level again. Like many people with aphasia, he had high expectations of himself and his progress.
- Fluent speech but severe word-finding problems
- Verbose and tangential
- Little reading or writing
- No awareness he wasn’t communicating effectively
Using The Aphasia Center's testing protocols
- "Talked around" word-retrieval issues
- Speech fluent and tangential
- Unaware of word substitutions
- Difficulty following group conversations.
- Around 64% of his speech was detailed and on topic
- Needed help 50% of the time to say the target word
- Understood one piece of information at a time
He completed a 6-week program
and My Aphasia Coach software homework daily.
Sentence organization 6 words
Writing personal info
- Cliff became more self-aware and able to use strategies
- Maintained topic 100% of the time independently.
- Spoke in sufficient detail in conversation with 90% accuracy
- Reading and writing improved from single words to sentences
- He returned to work full-time as a director of a department within a few months