Moderate Broca's Aphasia
Time since stroke: 5 months
ProblemsMisty and her husband owned several businesses. She was head of her business, largely doing sales and running the sales departments. After her stroke, she was largely confined to a wheelchair and could not run meetings, sell cars or run her office. She really enjoyed engaging with customers and her staff.
She had 3 children she wanted to communicate with as they grew up. She usually spoke in 1-2 word sentences with a lot of overuse of general speech, such as “Oh, Lord”. When she got stuck word-finding, the conversation would just stop. She did not have any strategies. Misty often felt like people would talk over her and not include her in their conversations.
Using The Aphasia Center's testing protocols
- Spoke in 1-2 word ungrammatical utterances
- Good naming, but difficulty with word-finding in connected speech
- Wrote single words
- Good reading comprehension
- Good auditory comprehension
- Repetition up to 5 words
She completed a 6-week program with tDCS
and My Aphasia Coach software homework daily.
Writing Dictated Words
- Learned how to use strategies to help with word-finding issues
- Began speaking in complete, grammatical 4-6 word sentences
- Began writing in complete sentences of 5-9 words in length
- Repeated up to 11 word utterances at a time
- Gained confidence in talking to both strangers and family members