Moderate Broca’s Aphasia
Time since stroke: 1.5 years
ProblemsAva was a Sales Director in the hospitality industry. Prior to her stroke, she excelled at using technology and loved to socialize with anyone. She was highly motivated and spent a lot of time organizing and directing her large, close-knit family.
Ava spoke mostly in a series of nouns, relying on the listener to ask questions or fill-in-the-gap to understand her speech. Her long-term goal was to return to the work she loved, and to do so, she needed to give more information when she spoke. A heavy communicator, she missed texting and emailing her friends and family. However, she was hesitant to use technology.
She completed a 6-week program and My Aphasia Coach software homework daily.
Listening to Messages
- Spoke in sentences 85% of the time given minimal help
- Used her phone to help her say numbers, days of the week, and months
- Used technology to support her reading comprehension of novels
- Wrote complete sentences, 4-6 words in length
- Used strategies to text friends and family